Press Release – March 26, 2020
Mid-American Canoe & Kayak Race scratched for third-straight year
AURORA – The Fox Valley Park District continues to monitor the COVID-19 crisis, and adhere to recommendations set forth by local, state and federal officials.
As a result, FVPD officials have been forced to cancel several upcoming programs and events, including the Mid-American Canoe & Kayak Race, originally scheduled for Sunday, June 7. This marks the third consecutive year the Mid-Am has been canceled, the previous two because of dangerous water-level and flow-rate conditions on the Fox River.
“It’s no secret that we’re living in uncertain and unprecedented times,” said Dan Leahy, the FVPD’s director of marketing and communications. “The health and safety of our employees and residents remain paramount to everything we do. In that spirit, the decision to cancel a wave of programs and activities, though painful, was not difficult, as we continue to take preventative steps to provide the safest conditions for our guests and staff.”
On March 12, the FVPD posted a page to its website – COVID-19 Action Steps and Communication Plan – which is updated as new information becomes available and includes the date new announcements are communicated. The FVPD encourages residents to check the dedicated web page, as well as monitoring the District’s social media channels and checking their personal inboxes for email blasts sent to residents.
Upcoming FVPD programs and events that have been canceled, include:
- Bunny Brunch at Prisco Community Center(April 4)
- Underwater Egg Hunt at Vaughan Athletic Center (April 5)
- Dank Haus (April 6)
- Breakfast with the Bunny at Vaughan Athletic Center (April 7)
- Glow in the Dark Egg Hunt at Blackberry Farm (April 9)
- Milo’s Marvelous Egg Hunt at Blackberry Farm (April 11)
- Wine & Canvas at Blackberry Farm (April 11)
- STOMP at the Paramount (April 11)
- Parent & Child Painting Class at Blackberry Farm (April 18)
- Community-wide Service Day (April 18)
- Barnyard 5K & Pig Pen 1-Miler at Blackberry Farm (April 25)
- Superhero Smash at Eola Community Center (April 25)
- Mid-American Canoe & Kayak Race (June 7)