Fun and formative learning through creation, exploration and play
Fox Valley Park District believes in helping children develop socially, physically, emotionally and intellectually through play- and nature-based learning. We offer engaging and inspiring preschool labs, classes and outdoor experiences for an average of 10–20% less than the cost of a private school.
Many studies have emphasized the pivotal benefits of early education and childhood development available through preschool programs such as ours:
- positive impact on brain structure and formation
- instilling a lasting desire to learn
- regular physical activity
- a head start on healthy emotions and self-worth
- early socialization and trust-building with children and adults
- understanding structure and discipline balanced with fun
- improved foundational math and reading skills
Learn more about our preschool programs!
If you’d like to discuss our preschool programs, please contact:
Curriculum and Standards
Fox Valley Park District’s preschool programs apply the integrated teaching of STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics). Through STEAM, children develop skills and procedures for inquiry, prediction, collaboration, communication, and creative and critical thinking.
Our curriculum further is aligned with the Illinois Early Learning and Development Standards. We incorporate elements of the Growing Up WILD early education program as well to encourage children’s interest in and exploration of nature and wildlife.
We also apply principles and activities of Michael Heggerty’s Ed.D. Phonemic Awareness Curriculum to enhance language awareness through skills such as letter naming, rhyming, and adding and deleting phonemes (indivisible units of sound).
Creative Play Preschool
Implementing our STEAM curriculum, this play-based program helps ensure kindergarten readiness while also capitalizing on community-center resources such as a full-size gym, a playground, a gymnastics area, and outdoor fields and courts. Indoor and outdoor time promotes expression, creative problem-solving, group work and motor-skill development.
Creative Play Preschool is available at Eola and Prisco Community Centers and Vaughan Athletic Center.
Nature Play Preschool
Based on a kindergarten-readiness and STEAM curriculum, Nature Play Preschool at Blackberry Farm and Red Oak Nature Center focuses on nature, the environment, recycling and conservation. Daily outdoor time (weather permitting) is a core program feature.
Registration can be completed online or at a Fox Valley Park District community center, Monday through Friday. Click to register online!
When registering, please bring:
- The registration form and EFT form
- Proof of residency (e.g. gas, phone, electric bill)
- $75 registration fee (non-refundable)
- Children must be potty-trained for the 3s, 4s and Pre-Kindergarten programs. Pull-Ups or diapers are not allowed.
- Program child-age requirements (no exceptions):
- 2-Year-Old: must be 30 months by Sept 1
- 3-Year-Old: must be 3 years by Sept 1
- 4-Year-Old and Pre-Kindergarten: must be 4 years by Sept 1
2021-2022 Registration Dates
- Jan. 11: Registration packets available
- Jan. 19: Registration open for returning students/siblings
- Jan. 25: Resident registration open to new students
- Feb. 1: Non-resident registration open to new students
- Classes begin in September. Parents will receive specific start dates and class information in August.